Friday 13 March 2015

Bags, Tops and Bracket Fungi


Hi Everyone, I hope I find you all well.

I have had a busy week, sewing and walking as well as the normal daily household chores.
My week started with the completion (minus buttons which are on order)  of my mini sewing carry all, mini is really a misnomer here as it seems able to carry quite a lot, a bit Tardis like really, and it was admired by my sewing friends at Knitting Sew and Natter last night. Finally we have found a home, having been a bit nomadic over the last few months, cafe's church halls aside, we are now established in The Heath Citizens Community Hall, Heath Park Cardiff, where we meet every Thursday from 7 to 9pm, a small but very friendly group happy to share our expertise as well as learn from others, may we go from strength to strength. Next labour of love, was Jessica's bug top, I still have to get the correct colour zip to complete it but it really does look lovely and I am really pleased with it.  My friend Bunty loved the material and asked for the supplier, Dowtys of Hereford, Bunty is opening a new workshop near Tavistock, Devon and will be running workshops, contact information below beside picture of Jessica's top and the mini carry all.


Whilst walking this week and watching the seasonal changes to my local park (Fairwater Dell) I spied a beautiful fungal growth on a small tree trunk, it turned out to be a Bracket Fungi, information instantly supplied by my husband, and of course I Googled and found out more about the fungus itself and plunged myself into a plethora of poetry about fungus, and found this lovely one about Bracket Fungi by William D Hamilton, an English evolutionary Biologist.  I hope you enjoy it along with the photo I took in Fairwater Dell of the Bracket Fungi.





THE BRACKET FUNGI.  published 1952
(W D Hamilton 1936-2000)

The beechwoods on far hills are turning gold,
Suns shall light them, and in evenings
Red suns on red horizons rolled
Shall stain them deeper, sweeter and less cold.
Soft rain shall drench them, mists shall drown,
Leaves through stagnant stillness spinning
Go drifting quietly down and down.
Wet earth is black, the piled dead leaves are brown.
The stately trunks snake-coloured, and on these,
Live, or dead but still upstanding
White hands of bracket fungi seize
Hands tough as leather, soft as cheese
Quietly encircle, quietly pull and kill.
And when that cobweb-shattered sun
Sinks huge to a yet more distant hill
The pallid hands grow fleshy, pink and fill
That beauty with their growth. 

Thank you once again for joining me, have a lovely week wherever in the world you are, and I will be back again next week.

Daisychain




No comments:

Post a Comment